Monday, March 22, 2010

Learning not to bark at dogs on a walk

I've been testing Mom just to see if she's a bit tired of being boss. So far, she doesn't seem ready to give up the role. I keep her on her toes though. For instance, when we go on a walk and I see another dog, I wait for her reaction. When she stands there watching the dog I know one of us has to act, so I step in and start barking.

Mom tells me, "Quiet."

But I keep barking because by the time she says anything I'm so focused on the other dog I think maybe the dog will come over to play. After all, I'm barking as loud as I can. I drop into my play stance. Mom took a Control Unleashed class. She will watch and say, "See that?"

Well, duh. Of course I see that, why else would I be barking like a mad dog? She tries to walk away, but I'm so sure I can get this other dog's attention if only I growl so I plant my paws on the sidewalk and put all my strength into holding my position in case the other dog comes over to play.

Okay, let me tell you, growling is not a good idea. People stare. The owner of the dog I'm barking at runs off and Mom takes me to the car and the walk is over.

Now that is not my idea of fun. Apparently Mom feels the same way. The last few weeks she takes me on walks, but as soon as I see something exciting she changes direction! She talks to me and has me start working. You know the routine. Sit. Stand. Down. Stay. Touch. That sort of thing.

All the time I just know the dog behind me is probably leaving the scene. I try to look back to make sure the other dog isn't coming my way for a friendly sniff, but Mom gives me something else to do and distracts me. It is getting to the point where I don't much see the point of barking at all. Mom is just not interested in these other dogs.

Mom seems happy that I'm more focused these days on her than the other dogs, but it doesn't take an Australian Sheepdog brain to realize not one dog has ever given me a treat for barking and Mom clicks and treats with CHEESE when I sit quietly and watch the other dogs go by.

Mom says I'm developing discipline, but I think I've found a new way to get cheese snacks.

1 comment:

  1. Shadow the labradoodle here. I've learned to get cheese on my walks, too, and not to pull. But MY mom has trained me to bark my head off outside when I want attention because when I do she always opens the door and yells at me and I usually get to come inside. She keeps grumbling that she has to do SOMETHING different to stop my barking but she doesn't know what. But I say--hey, works for me!

    ReplyDelete