Monday, November 16, 2009

Flu Shots for Dogs



Today Mom took me to the vet to get my nails clipped. My blood doesn't clot easily so Mom is nervous about clipping my nails. We arrived at the vets and we get the word that the vet recommends I get a shot for Canine Influenza. (Haven't heard of Canine Influenza? You can learn more at CBS about this illness.) And by the way, the vet has a cancellation and give me the shot right then! Oh, joy. I think I felt the shot but the whole affair happened so quickly I didn't have time to get upset. And I did get an all natural cookie for my trouble. Not a bad deal. I go back in 3 weeks for a booster shot and then I'm protected for a year.

I am around a lot of dogs. Every week I go to obedience class and Control Unleashed class (where Mom is trying to get me to not get so excited when I see other dogs. Doesn't she understand how much fun it is to meet and play with new breeds?) And then there is the weekly play group. Of course it is dominated by yellow labs and golden retrievers but there is one Doberman that I see sometimes. We dogs share a lot of things like toys and water dishes, so if one of us gets the virus, chances are it will spread.

Have a dog in your life? Check out the canine influeza shot if you haven't already talked to your vet about the dog flu.



No comments:

Post a Comment