Sunday, February 8, 2009

Exercise in the snow

I live in a home with over an acre to play in. You might think that would be enough exercise for a Doberman, but while free play is fun, it isn't real tiring exercise.

The streets around my house are salted. Mom thinks this isn't good for my feet and the town might not be using salt at all but chemicals. Mom hates chemicals on the street, so she refuses to walk me on the street. It doesn't help that she gets home after dark either which makes walks dangerous.

So we've started checking out parks every weekend. During the week we get exercise by going to agility class, obedience class and weekly playgroup. Well, that's three times a week. Better than nothing. Now Mom has added Saturday and Sunday walks in the parks.

First park we went to was Rocky Woods in Medfield. This was tons of fun. When I came home I was too tired for puppy testing but man did I feel good. Yesterday we went to Noon Hill and had the place to ourselves - except for some animal that seemed to be tracking us! I was nervous but Mom stayed cool so I figured hey - she's the alpha dog, let her protect me and I followed her lead. Guess what? We never saw whatever was making me nervous. It may have helped that Mom decided maybe I knew something she didn't and turned around. We'd been walking for an hour so she wanted to get to the car before sunset anyway.

I like parks.

Oh yes, and I did find something that is definitely Doberman safe! I'll blog about that tomorrow so Mom can upload a photo.

Winter in New England. I think Mom and I are getting the hang of it. (Just as it turns 50 degrees! Think I've been inside all day? You must not have a Doberman in your house!)

No comments:

Post a Comment